Dedicated To Helping Rebuild Shattered Lives

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Insurance Law
  4.  » Will my homeowners’ insurance cover flooding?

Will my homeowners’ insurance cover flooding?

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2019 | Insurance Law |

Depending on where you live in Washington, you may worry about your home being destroyed by flooding, as well as whether your insurance will cover flood-related damages. There are many misconceptions related to this complicated area of insurance, as well as what exactly constitutes flooding damage, versus ordinary water damage.

If you only have regular homeowners’ insurance but you live in an area prone to flooding, you may want to take note of the following points, as explained by Bankrate:

  • Not all water damage is equal. Water damage from rain or hail is typically covered by homeowners’ insurance, but riverbank and ocean floods are different.
  • You may be required by your mortgage company to purchase flood insurance if you live in a flood plain.
  • Flood insurance usually tops out around $250,000, so your damages might not be entirely covered in a severe flood.
  • Flood zones can change with the climate and the environment, so it is wise to stay updated on your local flood plains.

Water damage can be one of the costliest and most devastating disasters to hit your home, and it is especially true when it comes to a flood. It is smart to understand the rules surrounding flood insurance and to invest in a policy if your home is at risk of flood damage, before finding out too late that your homeowners’ insurance will not cover your losses after a flood. Since insurance law can be complex, this information is for educational purposes and should not replace the advice of a lawyer.