Dedicated To Helping Rebuild Shattered Lives

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Insurance Law
  4.  » Is my child eligible for Social Security Disability?

Is my child eligible for Social Security Disability?

On Behalf of | May 24, 2019 | Insurance Law |

When your child has a disability in Washington, you may sometimes think that your family has to manage alone. However, your son or daughter may be eligible to receive Social Security Disability.

The Social Security Administration generally offers financial assistance for families who have a child with a disability. According to the Social Security Administration, a child usually has to meet certain requirements to receive these payments. Your son or daughter might have one or more conditions, and these conditions usually need to have affected your child’s life for a year or more. Additionally, your child’s ailment generally has to hinder his or her ability to perform everyday activities. The SSA has a list of several conditions which usually qualify for disability benefits. These include cerebral palsy, blindness and Down syndrome.

Additionally, your family has to meet the SSA’s financial requirements. The SSA usually looks at the resources available to your family, as well as any income your son or daughter might have. If your child is capable of working and has a job, he or she generally has to earn less than $1,220 each month to be eligible for disability benefits.

To receive disability benefits for your child, you usually need to provide medical records for the SSA to look over. It is also helpful if you can explain how your child’s condition has affected his or her daily life. Sometimes the SSA may ask if your child can take certain tests or medical examinations so they can make an informed decision. Once your son or daughter starts receiving Social Security Disability payments, the SSA typically evaluates his or her condition every three years to determine if he or she still meets the eligibility requirements. During these evaluations, you generally need to demonstrate that your child is receiving medical care for the condition. Additionally, the SSA may view your child as an adult once he or she turns 18 and evaluate the condition according to the guidelines used for adults. 

This information is intended to educate. It should not be used in place of legal advice.