Dedicated To Helping Rebuild Shattered Lives

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Insurance Law
  4.  » Insurance law: How a public insurance adjuster can help

Insurance law: How a public insurance adjuster can help

On Behalf of | Nov 12, 2019 | Insurance Law |

Living through a severe storm or house fire can be extremely stressful. On top of dealing with the emotional aspect of these traumatic situations, Washington homeowners also have to worry about repairs. Fixing serious damage to a home is expensive, but homeowners insurance should provide compensation for those damages. Hiring a public insurance adjuster is a smart way to make sure that the compensation is actually fair according to insurance law.

An insurance adjuster is a professional who assesses property damage and decides how much the insurance company should pay. Insurance companies generally hire their own adjusters, although hiring an independent insurance adjuster to work on a specific case is common. However, both these professionals are linked to the insurance company, which means they might not have the policyholder’s best interests in mind.

A public insurance adjuster does not work with or for the insurance company. Instead, he or she is hired by the policyholder to perform an independent assessment of the situation. Using a public adjuster makes it easier to submit an insurance claim that is as accurate as possible.

Whether working with companies or on their own, adjusters do much more than simply look at damages when making suggestions for compensation. After a careful inspection, a property owner can expect an adjuster to thoroughly detail the damages, cost of repairs or cost of replacement. Any inaccuracies in the estimated cost of repairing or replacing property means that a homeowner will not receive enough to fully address the damages.

A house is so much more than just four walls and a roof — it is a home. This is why property owners in Washington know that it is so important to carry homeowners insurance. Unfortunately, it is not always enough to rely on the insurance company’s assessment of the damage. Instead, a homeowner may want to explore other options, such as hiring a public insurance adjuster or speaking with an experienced insurance law attorney.